Refrigerators typically last from 10 to 18 years and the average life of a refrigerator is 14 years. Many factors influence the life of the refrigerator, including the type of refrigerator and environmental factors.
New York Post published
an article about an 85-year-old refrigerator that still works, but it’s rare for a refrigerator to last more than two decades. However, you can take control of the maintenance of the refrigerator to make sure yours stays fresh for a long time.
We have maintenance tips below, as well as important details about the life of the refrigerator.
First of all: never postpone the repair of a device. At the first sign of a problem, plan the service with reliable experts like those from APLUSRepair. You can even schedule online at any time that suits you.
How long should a refrigerator last in your home?
Although a refrigerator lasts an average of 14 years, many variables can change the answer to “How long do refrigerators last?” For example:
- Type and quality of refrigerator. Compact refrigerators tend to last fewer years than large domestic refrigerators. In addition, high-end models usually last longer than units without high-end parts.
- The rigor of the interview. Periodic maintenance can help your refrigerator last longer than the one that was overlooked. Below we offer you some maintenance tips!
- Quality of repairs. Some appliance repair technicians do not use quality OEM parts, or they can perform a “quick repair” that does not last. The simplest solution?
- Usage factors. A refrigerator will not last long if it is misused. Make sure that items do not block vents and avoid overfilling or underfilling. If you run out of food, put a large jug of water in the refrigerator so that it does not work too hard.
- Environmental factors. If you have a refrigerator in the garage or right next to a sunny window, it is more likely to wear out faster. Avoid exposing the device to very hot, cold or humid conditions.
If you have personally purchased the device you are using, you can more easily predict how long the refrigerator will last as you know its full history. If you’ve just moved into a new place, you may know the age of the refrigerator, but you don’t know if it has been maintained or abused. In this case, it is better to simply take care of the device and call a professional for the repair of the refrigerator in case of need.
Ways to maximize the life of your refrigerator
If you want your refrigerator to last a long time, make sure you know how to care for it. First, be sure to clean up spills immediately in the refrigerator and thoroughly clean your device about twice a year or as needed. Do not fill the refrigerator too much or too little, as both actions lead to overloading of the device. To learn how to clean the condenser fan and perform other technical maintenance, check out our refrigerator maintenance tips.